Shockwave therapy is a non-surgical treatment that delivers impulses of energy through your skin to specific damaged tissues of an abnormal tendon to offer accelerated tissue repair and cell growth, pain relief and mobility restoration.
What is shockwave therapy?
Shockwave therapy is a highly effective, NICE approved and, safe treatment of tendon-related pain. It delivers high energy pulses of sound waves by a hand-held device that allows your practitioner to penetrate your affected body with pinpoint accuracy.
It works by increasing the blood flow within your affected area, stimulating cell regeneration and healing, reversing chronic inflammation, breaking down and removing calcium build up and, triggering pain relief.
What are the benefits of shockwave therapy?
The benefits of shockwave therapy include:
- Fast and effective pain relief
- Mobility restoration
- Non-surgical and non-invasive
- No need for medication
- No risk of infection
- No risk of tendon rupture
What conditions can be treated with shockwave therapy
There are many tendon conditions that shockwave therapy can help treat. These include:
- Plantar fasciitis/heel spurs - heel and mid foot pain
- Achilles tendinopathy – Achilles heel pain
- Greater trochanteric pain syndrome – hip pain
- Tennis elbow – elbow pain
- Peyronie's disease – penile pain
- Shoulder tendinitis and impingement, rotator cuff calcifications or frozen shoulder – shoulder pain
- Dupuytren’s disease, De Quervain disease, trigger finger and Carpal tunnel syndrome – hand and wrist pain
- Jumpers knee - knee pain
- Hamstring tendinopathy – hamstring pain
- Medial tibial stress syndrome – lower leg pain
Shockwave therapy can offer an alternative treatment option to surgery for some people suffering chronic tendon-related pain. It is a successful second line treatment if you have not responded to conservative pain management techniques including physiotherapy.
The number of treatments required varies depending on your individual circumstances and tissue response. The effect of your treatment is cumulative. You will typically need three to five treatments. Often patients experience some pain relief after the first treatment.
Shockwave Therapy with Clifton Park Hospital
The modern and clinically proven shockwave therapy is available at Clifton Park Hospital. Our trained and experienced physiotherapists and expert consultant orthopaedic consultants offer convenient appointments to start your shockwave therapy at your earliest convenience and help relieve your chronic tendon pain.
The cost for a shockwave therapy is £66 with a follow-up at £44. Your treatment may be covered by your insurance company or we offer a range of self-pay options to suit you and your finances.
Contact us to book an appointment!